Wednesday, October 6, 2010

University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine

The UMKC 6 year BA/MD Program is an accelerated program. Students obtain the MD degree in six years. However, this program does require certain sacrifices. Let's talk about the positives first. First, there is no MCAT requirement. And you graduate in six years versus the normal eight.

Now let's talk about the downsides, in my opinion. There are no summers. Once you're in the program, you go to school for six years with no summer breaks. I think this is quite taxing on the human mind. Also, you're taking four years of undergrad classes in two years. This means that your course load is significantly tougher.

There are also concerns about the quality of UMKC as a med school. If you look at the match list, you will see that most students match in primary care. If you are a student aspiring for the field of plastic surgery, then UMKC might not help you achieve that goal. That said, it is still entirely possible. I believe that the outcome of the match depends on the student. The name of the med school plays only a minor part.

This program is the one that gets the most negative vibe among all other programs. People bash it. There are very few positive reactions when you look at CollegeConfidential's thread on UMKC. But I think UMKC is treated unfairly. Many of the negative opinions come from students who have dropped out (the dropout rate is rather high). Looking at the ACT average, I'm not surprised why so many students couldn't handle the program. It's only 30. Other programs easily have averages around 34-35. I was accepted to the program and would have easily gone here if not for acceptance to another program.

So, are you right for this program? Think carefully at what I wrote. Ask yourself, "Can I handle this program? Can I afford it? Can I handle the course load?"

Admission Requirements:
UMKC
  • Fully admissible to UMKC (17 core requirements)
  • Missouri residents: top 20 percent of class; ACT of 26 or above
  • Non-Missouri residents: top 10 percent of class; ACT of 28 or above OR SAT composite of 1200 (critical reading and math)
  • Must be U.S. citizens or awarded permanent resident visa status by application deadline
  • Students under serious consideration are invited to interview
  • Mathematics - four units (unit = one year of high school)
  • English - four units
  • Science - three units (must include Chemistry and Biology)
  • Social Studies - three units
  • Foreign Language - two units
  • Fine Arts - one unit (visual arts, music, dance, or theater
  • Students are encouraged, but not required, to take courses for college credit (AP, IB, dual credit)

9 comments:

  1. I vowed to never ask this question but...how do you think my chances look for the UMKC program? I just sent in my app and don't feel like getting butchered by the maniacs on college confidential.

    SAT 2220 (680CR 800M 740W)
    3.84 unweighted, 9 APs by graduation (I know that's not a lot, I'm really involved with choir at my high school)
    Usual volunteering
    Health Care Governor's School PA
    tons of school ECs with leadership...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stats are pretty decent and I think you'll definitely be able to get into at least 1 program. But remember, apply widely and keep your options open. Getting into schools and programs can all seem "random" at times and a lot of factors contribute to this variability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Folks,
    Always think positive. UMKC is an excellent school just like any other. It does not matter which school you go to, its your attitude and your motivation to succeed which counts. Are you going to be getting more patients just because you went to the top school????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could anyone compare/contrast NEOMED (previously NEOUCOM) to UMKC? Also, does 6yr track versus the regular 8yr present any disadvantages when applying for residencies?

    Thanks,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in this program, and probably one of the biggest advocates for it :)

    Beyond the perks (no mcat, shave 2 years, guaranteed acceptance), this place is a great program to learn how to become a good doctor. The way the medical humanities are integrated into the program, and having a continuity clinic as soon as you enter your med years (a trend many schools have replicated) gives us an edge. UMKC students make great residents, and I have received glowing feedback from residency interviewers/program directors regarding former alumni they have employed at other institutions.

    Regarding the primary care argument, I agree our school has ALWAYS been biased toward training competent PCPs--but again, comparing our match lists with surrounding universities, the proportions of specialties are very similar. I am not going into primary care, but the training I get here makes me want to apply those principles to my practice. Having so much experience in internal medicine and outpatient clinics like we do gives us a deep understanding for medicine in general (the good, the bad, and the ugly). It is indeed the foundation of any sub-specialty practice.

    When you ask yourself, 'what kind of doctor do I want to be?', go beyond answering primary care, surgery, etc. I wanted to become a good doctor, and UMKC could help me get there. The greatest challenge is recognizing this at the age of 18!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just received acceptance into the 6 year program. I also have an offer of a full-ride to rockhurst university where i would be in the honors program. Which offer would be best? I am looking to become a surgeon and I do not know which choice would be best. I want the best residency that I can get

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know enough about Rockhurst University to give you an adequate opinion on this.

      If cost is an issue, go with Rockhurst. I noticed that Rockhurst offers a number of early assurance programs. http://www.rockhurst.edu/academics/undergraduate/majors/pre-medicine/ If you decide to matriculate at Rockhurst, you will have many opportunities to succeed.

      As for UMKC, I would take the time and read the thread on College Confidential. Many people have conflicting viewpoints about this program. I think you should make your decision after reading about all the pros and cons of the program not mentioned by the interviewers or the program website.

      Delete
    2. Here is the link to UMKC's College Confidential thread: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/10493-umkc-6-year-bs-md-program.html

      Delete
  7. As a result of recent expansions in the health care and insurance industries the amount of people who have access to health care has increased, while many parts of the country still have a severe shortage of medical professionals. While this may be difficult for medical institutions, it may be beneficial for you if you're ready to start a career in this field! Medical assistants may well be some of the most flexible and important professionals in this field; getting a degree in medical assisting can prepare you to fill many spots in a doctor's office or nursing home.
    Medical assistant schools in kansas

    ReplyDelete